Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Make Up Your Mind!

Have you ever stood in line behind someone who couldn't seem to decide what they wanted? Maybe at your favorite coffee shop? Or maybe you are that person!

Usually, if I'm being indecisive, it's because I'm trying to choose between what I think I want, and what I know I need. For instance, I may really want that rich, chocolate mocha with whipped cream on top, but I know it's not good for my waistline or my budget. I'd be much better off with a cup of coffee with a little Splenda and skim milk. Hmmmm.....what will I do? That depends. Sometimes I make the wise choice. Other times, my appetite argues louder than my common sense! Or, maybe I have a friend along who is encouraging me to make one decision or the other. Can I stand up to the "pressure", and do what I really think I should?

As I went to vote today, I was reminded of the importance of the choices we make, and how grateful I am to live in a country where I can still cast my vote. I believe the consequences of the political choices that are made today will be great and far-reaching.

However, of far greater importance than the election that is taking place are the spiritual choices that we make. God has given each of us a free will, and the opportunity to choose. He teaches us what are the right choices to make in His Word, and warns us of the consequences of foolish or evil choices, but He leaves the decision to us.

In a spiritual sense, how have you cast your vote? Have you chosen to receive Christ as your Savior? Have you chosen to surrender your will to Him? Have you chosen to live a consecrated life? Or have you chosen to reject Him, to ignore His Word, or to live a carnal life? Spiritually, there are no "undecided" voters. We are all choosing every day who we will live for. The consequences of our spiritual choices affect not only our daily lives, but eternity. I pray that we will all make the choices that are right and pleasing to Christ.

No comments: